AARP Senior Driver Refresher Course
The AARP Driver Safety Program is the nation’s first and largest classroom refresher course for motorists age 50 and older. The class is a one-day four-hour course.
NOTE: In person classes cancelled until 9/1/2021
Cost is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-members. These fees help to pay for the workbook which you get to keep. Cash or check only made out to Richland Public Health.
AARP-trained volunteers teach the Driver Safety Class. We conduct classes three to four times a year. The AARP Driver Safety Course is a refresher classroom only course designed to keep older drivers on the road longer and safer. Some insurance companies (AARP is one) offer discounts on auto insurance to people who complete this course. Check with your agent. We encourage anyone who took the class three years ago or longer to take this class as a refresher and to keep your insurance discount through AARP.
Organizations wishing to host the course Please call Reed Richmond at 419-774-4726.
No In Person Classes until September 1, 2021
FROM AARP NATIONAL OFFICE
AARP has made the difficult decision to cancel all sponsored in-person events and activities until at least September 1, 2021, which include AARP Driver Safety events, to minimize COVID-19 exposure among our AARP family and our communities.
As you know, AARP has been promoting the health and well-being of older Americans for over 60 years. AARP Driver Safety’s (ADS) top priority is the health and well-being of our volunteers, our members and the community at large.
If classes are scheduled in the fall of 2021, they will be in the Corley Room (lower level entrance) at Richland Public Health but that may change if another agency wants to host a class.
THIS IS HOLDER TEXT: Call 419-774-4726 to register.; Maximum class size is 35.; Walk-ins welcome if space permits
The AARP Driver Safety Program is designed to:
- Tune up your driving skills and update your knowledge of the rules of
- Learn about normal age-related physical changes, and how to adjust your driving to allow for these changes.
- Reduce your traffic violations, crashes, and chances for injuries.
- Drive more safely.
- Get an insurance discount. Auto insurance companies in most states provide a multiyear discount to AARP graduates!
- AARP members receive discounts on the AARP Motoring Plan from GE Motor Club.
What Will I Learn?
You can expect to learn about current rules of the road, how to operate your vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment, and some adjustments to common age-related changes in vision, hearing, and reaction time. You will learn about:
- maintaining proper following distance at all times,
- the safest way to change lanes and make turns at intersections,
- the effects of medications on driving,
- minimizing the effect of dangerous blind spots,
- limiting driver distractions such as eating, smoking and cell phone use,
- properly using safety belts, air bags, and anti-lock brakes,
- maintaining physical flexibility,
- continuing to monitor your own and others’ driving skills and capabilities.
- Call 419-774-4726 to register
After completing the course, you’ll develop a greater appreciation of driving challenges and how you can avoid potential collisions and injuries to yourself and others. Interested? Learn more about the course structure.
What Else Do I Need to Know and How Do I Sign Up?
Though geared for drivers age 50 and older, the course is open to people of any age.
AARP membership is not required to take the course.
There is no final test to pass.
Call 419-774-4726 to find out when the next available class is (or see scheduled classes above).
What Course Graduates Are Saying About AARP Driver Safety Program:
“I have driven over three million miles as a commercial driver. Even with that record behind me, I have to keep an open mind and learn new things. AARP’s Driver Safety Program taught me a lot about normal age-related changes that I didn’t realize. I know I’m a better driver for it.”
Graduate, AARP Driver Safety Program, Illinois.
Questions or Comments
We'd love to hear from you. Contact us or take our survey to speak to one of our public health professionals or share your experience with our services. We value your feedback!